"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." - La Rochefoucauld

Monday, January 24, 2011




Pot Pie from Scratch
Amy found this recipe on the OWN channel. Today I spent nap break making this yummy meal. Check out my personal notes below.

Ingredients:
2 carrots
1 potato
1/2 cup frozen peas or corn
2 cups cooked chicken, cut into small pieces
1 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP butter
1 medium onion
1/4 cup flour
2 cups warm chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
hot sauce to taste
Corn bread mix for top of the pie

1- Parboil carrots and potato
2-While veggies are boiling, heat olive oil, butter, onion and flour on stove until it is clumpy.
3- Once it is clumpy, add warm chicken stock.
4- Then add potatoes, carrots,and peas (any any other veggies you would like), chicken, salt and pepper and hot sauce. Mix together well.
5- Place mixture in a 9x9 pan.
6- Make a corn bread mix (you can make from scratch)
7- Scoop corn bread mix onto top of pie mixture. Spread around the top. It does not have to cover completely.
6- Cook for 22-25 minutes at 400 degrees.

Personal Notes: This recipe is good for a Sunday...when you are not working or the hubby is home. I thought it was somewhat time consuming. I really like this recipe because it doesn't use cream of potato soup, cream of chicken soup, canned veggies, etc. All from scratch, except for the crust and frozen corn or peas. Frozen organic veggies are sometimes healthier than fresh vegetables, depending on how long they have been sitting out before consuming. I used Frank's hot sauce. It doesn't have HFCS or red food dye #40. I also used whole wheat flour. (FYI:The whole wheat flour gave the sauce a brownish color.) I also added lots of spices, minced fresh garlic, celery and homemade chicken stock.

I used these cute mini pie plates (Thank you Jodi for the recommendation! ) from Crate & Barrel, now on sale for $3.00. I thought the kids would enjoy having their own mini pie. I love cooking gadgets that make meal time fun and unique. I also thought these would be fun for making individual pumpkin or apple pies, come fall time.
I used pie crusts for a few of them and corn bread for a few. After eating them both for dinner tonight, the corn bread pot pie won the taste competition and is going in rotation. The pie crust version was a little dry. Enjoy! :)

No comments: