Shopping tip of the week: Butter is Best!Angelle from Nourish MD told our shopping group that it took her 10 years to get to where she is with her diet. It is not realistic to throw everything away in your pantry and go out and buy new stuff, all at once. I like to do little baby steps and challenge myself every few weeks. I like trying to learn about something new or researching healthier food options/recipes. For example, I used to buy whatever meat was on sale at Kroger, then I opted to buy organic meat and now I buy local grass-fed meat. It was a process and did not happen over night. Another good comparison is milk. I used to buy skim milk, then I bought organic whole milk and now I purchase a partial raw milk from Whole Foods that is loaded with probiotics. Again, this was a process and I try to make small changes along the way.
By the way, I have not gone down the raw milk path yet, even though many of my health mentors strongly suggest it. Its my own personal hang-up. I am the person who requests to have their meat WELL DONE! Kelly and her sisters drink raw milk and absolutely love it and say it is safer then store bought/processed milk. I commend them for doing their research, finding a reputable vendor and going the extra mile with their health. VERY IMPRESSIVE. One day, I hope to venture down that path as well.
Moving on...One small baby step you could do (if you don't already) is to purchase organic, cultured butter instead of margarine. Margarine is a fake food that is riddled with chemical additives. Butter is a real food with real health benefits. All of my mentors agree that raw, organic butter would be the healthiest option but I have a hard time finding raw butter so the next best option would be cultured, organic butter. Cultured dairy products are easier to digest and contain beneficial bacteria. The experts also agree that Horizon products are not the best. They really like Organic Valley. Read the about the health benefits of butter below:
- Butter is rich in the most easily absorbable form of Vitamin A necessary for thyroid and adrenal health.
- Contains lauric acid, important in treating fungal infections and candida.
- Contains lecithin, essential for cholesterol metabolism.
- Contains anti-oxidants that protect against free radical damage.
- Has anti-oxidants that protect against weakening arteries.
- Is a great source of Vitamins E and K.
- Is a very rich source of the vital mineral selenium.
- Saturated fats in butter have strong anti-tumor and anti-cancer properties.
- Butter contains conjugated linoleic acid, which is a potent anti-cancer agent, muscle builder, and immunity booster
- Vitamin D found in butter is essential to absorption of calcium.
- Protects against tooth decay.
- Is your only source of an anti-stiffness factor, which protects against calcification of the joints.
- Anti-stiffness factor in butter also prevents hardening of the arteries, cataracts, and calcification of the pineal gland.
- Is a source of Activator X, which helps your body absorb minerals.
- Is a source of iodine in highly absorbable form.
- May promote fertility in women.
- Is a source of quick energy, and is not stored in our bodies adipose tissue.
- Cholesterol found in butterfat is essential to children's brain and nervous system development.
- Contains Arachidonic Acid (AA) which plays a role in brain function and is a vital component of cell membranes.
- Protects against gastrointestinal infections in the very young or the elderly.
"Our cultured butter achieves a rich butter taste through introducing a live culture and slowly ripening the cream. You'll think you've never really tasted butter before!"