"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." - La Rochefoucauld

Friday, December 17, 2010


Meal Idea: Mexican Casserole

My friends and I have passed a few versions of a Mexican casserole back and forth and this one I came up with as I was experimenting with some left overs. The left overs were actually from the stuffed cabbage recipe below. This recipe is great if you have left over ground beef or rice.

1 lb. of ground beef (grass-fed beef would be the best)
1 serving of basmatti rice (cooked with chicken stock)
4 brown rice tortillas from Food For Life. (These are in the refrigerated section of Whole Foods with other tortillas. I do not like them uncooked. They are amazing when baked in casseroles, like this one. This is a healthy substitute for flour tortillas.)
handful of chopped spinach
1 jar of salsa
1 can of beans, black or pinto
shredded cheese

If meat is not cooked, cook and add salsa, spinach, and beans. In a bowl, add cooked rice and mix well. Layer a 9x13 pan starting with tortillas, meat/rice mixture, and then cheese. Repeat layers one more time. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.

Enjoy! :)

1 comment:

Kara said...

This sounds really good. Also, I love Lana's hair. It is twice as think as my girls :)