"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." - La Rochefoucauld

Monday, December 13, 2010

A Fun Challenge

Once a month, think about a vegetable that you do not eat and research a recipe that has the foreign vegetable in it, and give it a whirl. This month, I challenged myself with finding a cabbage recipe. I made the winter stew delight (with cabbage) from Emily and loved it, so I decided to go one step further and try stuffed cabbage. Maria's Busia has hooked us up with so many recipes! Thank you, Busia! :) Here is the delicious recipe:

PS) Next month, I am going to do something with leeks. I need to talk to my girlfriend Jodi...I think she has a potato/leek soup recipe. Stay tuned! :) (Aren't you on the edge of your seat?? HA)

Ingredients: 1 medium cabbage, 1 lb. ground beef/sirloin, 1 cup of cooked rice, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, dash of pepper, 1 sweet onion, 1 can of tomato soup, 1/2 can water, 2 TBSP butter, 1 egg

1. Cook your rice.

2. Bring a large, wide saucepan of water to a boil. Add cabbage leaves (after carefully tearing them off as whole leaves from cabbage) to water and cook 2-4 minutes until softened. Drain and cut the middle core so they are easier to roll.

3. In a mixing bowl, combine raw meat, rice, chopped onion, egg, salt and pepper, and 2 TBSP of tomato soup. Mix.

4. Divide the meat into balls and roll the cabbage. Place, seams down, in a large skillet over medium heat with 1/2 can of water. Mix the can of tomato soup with the melted butter and pour over the tops of the cabbage rolls. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 45 minutes. Stir and baste the cabbage rolls with the liquid often.

Additions: You can also add other veggies to your meat mixture: chopped up peppers, kale, spinach, etc.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the past I was scared of leeks, but then I made Christina's soup (which called for leeks), and it was so easy and so good! :)
~Nicole

emily said...

I bought all the ingredients this weekend and am making this recipe for stuffed cabbage tomorrow! Definitely out of my comfort zone with this one, but wanted to give it a whirl.

Jodi said...

I do have a recipe... I will get it to you :)