"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." - La Rochefoucauld

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Dooms Day Preppers!

Have you seen this show on the National Geographic Channel??? My husband and I are obsessed. The people on the show are preparing for some type of dooms day...an economic collapse, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc. These people are very intense and in my opinion spend their life living in fear. However, the show has given us a lot to think about, especially when it comes to one of my favorite topics...FOOD!

My general rule of thumb is to follow experts that practice eating real foods while still maintaining a healthy relationship with food. I basically try to eat what my grandmother ate as a child. Her mother butchered her own chicken in their laundry room sink! I will NOT be doing that...but I will have a local farmer respectably care and butcher his own grass-fed animals so that I can purchase good quality food for my family. My great grandmother gardened, canned, raised her own chickens, and made every thing from scratch. I am so envious of all of her skills. I know we live in a different time but sometimes I wish I was more self-sufficient.

We live in a time where people expect to be taken care of instead of being resourceful and self-sufficient. My husband spends many hours reading about our economy and is very fearful of an economic collapse...similar to the Great Depression. If this happens, prices of food will sky rocket. Even worse, store bought food will not be readily available to us. Of course this is the worst case scenario but I need/want to become someone with more skills. Not only for the fear of a depression but I believe these skills will be healthier options for my family. One way I have been trying to improve my skill set is by going to the Healthy Traditions Cooking classes. So far I have been to classes on homemade stocks, canning, and cooking from scratch. Check out their website for more information if interested. We also are trying to become more dependent on farmers, gardening, etc and less dependent on grocery stores. Yes, we are big time amateurs but we are hoping overtime we will improve our skills and gain more knowledge.


In a nut shell, we are not dooms day preppers but we believe learning certain skills will not only provide a healthier foundation for our family but will also give us extra security...God forbid something happens to our food supply. Check out the show and see what you think!

No comments: