"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." - La Rochefoucauld

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Healthy Spaghetti

This is one of our favorite dishes.

Choose one: Whole grain pasta, rice pasta or sprouted whole grain pasta. Your family may like one of these more than the other but the one lesson I took from one of my shopping tours was to switch it up. I have used the rice pasta in a baked spaghetti dish before and my husband couldn't even tell. Try not to get in a rut with using the same thing every time.

Muir Glen is the sauce that was recommended to me by my nutritionist tour guide. If you read the label, you can see why it was the brand of choice.

Additions:

1. Finely chopped onions, fresh garlic, kale or spinach. You can really add any veggie...peppers, carrots.. I think the key is to chop small! If you are going to cook your sauce quickly, saute the veggies first. If you are going to let it simmer for an hour or so, you probably don't need to saute the vegetables.

2. I also add Turmeric. I don't love the flavor but because of its health benefits, I add it to everything. You really can't taste the flavor in the sauce.

3. Creswick Farm's Grass-Fed Beef. I like to add my own meat to sauce because I then know where the meat came from.

4. Either a splash of red wine or a dollop of cream cheese. Depending if you like your sauce zingy or creamy will help you make your choice. Cream cheese does add extra fat to the dish but it does not pose a high threat, like artificial sweeteners, fast food, food coloring and pop do. The cream cheese taste soooo good in the sauce...you will love it!

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!



No comments: