"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." - La Rochefoucauld

Wednesday, October 05, 2011


Bamboo Steamer

My late grandfather was an engineer and was very passionate about the dangers of using a microwave. He believed they were going to cause cancer, miscarriages and other health issues. He told us to never stand in front of a microwave while it was running. I do have a microwave and use it frequently. Its just so damn convenient! However, his warnings ring in my ears every time I use it.

This month my mini health goal is to reheat leftovers in a bamboo steamer, as seen above. For example, I am going to cook up a pound of breakfast sausages (which Creswick farms is now making/selling) on Sunday and reheat them with the steamer during the week for breakfast. I purchased one at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $14.00. You boil some water in a pan and rest the steamer on top and its suppose to heat your food within minutes.
You can also stack several layers so you can reheat an entire meal at the same time. Of course it won't be as snappy as the microwave, but I am going to give it a try and see how it works.

Maybe one day we can say good-bye to our microwave....I really don't know how people do that!! For now, we are taking little baby steps! :)

No comments: